Kindness Farm is a non-profit farm and permaculture & regenerative agriculture education center that grows fresh fruits and vegetables to feed houseless and low-income neighbors while empowering community members to grow their own food.
The farm was established in January 2021 and has fed over 6,000 people in 2021 through over 7000 lbs of produce lovingly grown and harvested by volunteers. The farm’s programs include weekly growing and harvesting of organic produce, internship experiences, and regenerative agriculture education and outreach, in particular to vulnerable communities.
Kindness Farm is rooted in the principle that kindness is not only the most compassionate, but also the most practical model for the world to live by. We use and teach sustainable, regenerative farming methods that heal the Earth.
The farm is seeking a lead farmer to join our jovial, enthusiastic group.
- Take responsibility for the day to day work of farming. Manage a crop plan, prop house, sowing, planting, weeding, harvesting, construction, and other projects as needed.
- Delegate efficiently to volunteers as well as working independently to achieve farm goals.
- Lead groups of volunteers through volunteer parties weekly (our work-force is primarily volunteer based)
- Ensure volunteers feel welcome, oriented, engaged, and supported.
- Share principles of regenerative ag with volunteers in the course of work.
- Assist in the development of systems to make the farm’s operations more efficient
- Liaise and collaborate with other farm leadership to help the farm grow and evolve!
Qualifications & Requirements
- Experience managing / working on the day to day operations of a small-scale farm
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage volunteers by prioritizing and delegating while creating a welcoming and positive experience
- Passion for educating and sharing farming with others
- Passion for the farm’s food justice and regenerative agriculture mission
- At least baseline knowledge of regenerative agriculture / permaculture
- Work on-site at the farm in SE Portland (Near Leech Botanical Gardens)
- Natural sense of leadership and desire to improve systems
- Proof of vaccination required to visit the farm
- Pass of background check required
Compensation & benefits:
- This role will be a 3/4 time position – approximately 30 hours per week at a rate of $22-$25 per hour depending on experience, with the option to turn into a full time position later this year / next year. We would love to work with someone who’d like to grow with us as we grow long term.
- Unlimited access to the communal fresh produce grown in the farm’s volunteer garden
- A somewhat flexible work schedule as long as hours / work get completed
- Meaningful work that helps those most vulnerable in our community
Immediate start date (or in the next few weeks).
To apply, please email a letter with your experience and why you think you’d be a good fit for this position to email@example.com. Please include your cell #.